Four Aquatic Therapy Exercises Using Just a Noodle
HydroWorx is kicking 2021 off in a healthy way and we have decided to provide you with four exercises that can be done with just the water and a pool noodle. These exercises can be done in any of our units ranging from the EVO to the HydroWorx 2000!
Upper Body Aquatic Exercises
These exercises include:
- Noodle paddle pull through
- Noodle biking
- Supine noodle
- Lunge with noodle press
Noodle paddle pull through
- Begin by standing with your feet hip-width apart.
- Hold the noodle in front of and perpendicular to your body with one arm in a slight shoulder flexion and the other arm bent to a 90-degree shoulder flexion.
- From this position, pull the noodle downward and across the body attempting to get your hand as close to the opposite hip as possible.
- Repeat this process on each side.
- Balance yourself while sitting on a noodle and perform a forward or backward pedaling motion.
- To make this exercise harder, you can also add upper body pedaling while simultaneously working the lower body .
- Wrap the noodle around your upper body horizontally and lay back on the noodle. Ensure that the noodle is supporting your upper body.
- In this supine position, extend your legs out in front of you. Pull your legs into a full hip abduction position.
- When bringing the legs back through the center, crisscross them.
- Make sure that you are alternating which leg crosses over the top with each rep.
Lunge with noodle press
- Place your hands shoulder-width apart on the noodle and hold the noodle above your head.
- Put your weight on your right foot and step back with your left into a lunge.
- As you bend your knee to come into the lunge, pull the noodle down through the water and in front of the body to meet your right knee
- Come out of the lunge and repeat the steps above but alternate which knee is in front with each rep.
Noodles are not just for recreational use. There are so many great exercises that can be done in the water with a little creativity. These strengthening exercises provide important core strengthening, which is important for those patients just getting back into their health goals. Combine these with underwater treadmill walking or running and resistance training for a complete aquatic fitness program.
The exercises include:
- Noodle plank
- Gait with upper body noodle swing
- Figure 8 with a noodle
- Noodle Press
1. Noodle Plank
While holding onto a noodle, place your hands shoulder width apart, lean forward and balance yourself on the noodle while the noodle supports you in the water.
2. Gait with Upper Body Noodle Swing
Holding a noodle in each arm, swing the noodles through the water while running, jogging or walking.
3. Figure 8 with Noodle:
Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, holding a noodle in front of you with arms in full extension. Keeping your elbow straight and the noodle in front of your body, drag the noodle through the water. Draw a figure eight with the noodle, attempting to get as much shoulder range of motion throughout.
4. Noodle Press
Placing a noodle in a U shape, perform hip flexion and knee flexion while placing the noodle under the arch of the foot.Press the noodle down to the floor of the pool and slowly control the leg back up to hip flexion and knee flexion. Repeat on each leg.
HydroWorx is proud to be able to create a series of exercises that can hopefully bring your patients one step closer to their goal of becoming more active in 2021. We hope you and your patients have a year filled with happiness, health, and most importantly movement!